Popular Post

Special Interview: Tori Praver debuts her 2011 Resort collection during Miami's Swim Week

This week, I had the pleasure of meeting Tori Praver, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, surfer and designer, at the W South Beach to preview her 2011 Resort collection. This Hawaii native (pictured on the right) has an amazing taste for swimwear since she grew up on the pristine beaches of Maui. Today, Tori travels the world to find inspiration for her unique swimwear line while modeling for international brands. You may have seen her gracing the covers of magazines like Glamour, Cosmopolitan and Elle. To view Tori's entire 2011 Resort collection, make sure you visit her website. This season, Tori has added full-coverage boy briefs and high-waisted bottoms to her line. I sat down to speak with Tori about her new swimwear, her inspiration and her future projects.

MBS: When did you realize you wanted to shift from the modeling industry into your new career: a swimwear designer?
TORI: Well, I grew up in Hawaii so the beach culture and the ocean is second nature to me. I always had a passion for swimwear. I had drawers full of bikinis growing up so I knew I wanted to design my own line at some point. It wasn't until I started modeling for Sports Illustrated when the editor, Diane Smith, really encouraged me and inspired me to get started with my own line.

MBS: How would you describe your 2011 Resort collection?
TORI: For my third collection, I've introduced many new prints and hardware like zippers. I started off by strictly using solid colors. Now, I have carried over my signature ruching and I feel like it represents my style really well. The colors come from various earth tones and the prints are inspired by my travels (like a boutique in Bali).
MBS: I know you're from Hawaii, BUT, where would you say is your favorite destination for a swimwear photoshoot?
TORI: Actually, whenever I hear that I'll be going back to Hawaii for a photoshoot it's like a dream come true! That's my favorite place for sure. Other than that, I would say the Caribbean and Costa Rica. I was recently there and I loved Costa Rica.

MBS: Is this your first time in Miami? If not, which "hot spot" would you recommend to my readers?
TORI: I've been to Miami many times and I love the spa at The Standard.
MBS: Where can people buy your bathing suits?
TORI: You can check out www.ToriPraverSwimwear.com for a complete list of stores or visit Shop Bop as well.
MBS: Do you have any upcoming projects you'd like to share?
TORI: I'm working with the Surfrider Foundation to design a collection that will benefit their charity that supports clean water around the world. My biggest goal is to collaborate with a charity and integrate my swimwear with their mission.
Thank you Tori Praver for a wonderful interview and I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Miami! xoxo